The council took my furniture!
Published at 01:00, Wednesday, 15 October 2003
By Stephen Meredith
A FORMER West Cumbrian pub landlady was so aggrieved when council workers took away building materials she intended to turn into garden furniture she took the matter to court.
Roberta Cooper had hoarded joists, floor boards and roofing materials, which she said she wanted to transform into seating.
But Copeland Council regarded the items as “rubbish” and took them away to be dumped them on a rubbish tip.
The council also issued a notice under the 1949 Environmental Act to clear the site where she had been storing the materials.
Mrs Cooper, of Winder Brow, Frizington, was so angry with the council that she attempted to claim £1,500 compensation through the county court.
But Judge Robert Park, sitting at Whitehaven County Court, said he could not deal with the claim because she “should have appealed to the magistrates’ court against the notice”.
Instead, she was ordered to pay costs to the council.
Mrs Cooper, who told Judge Park she felt “aggrieved” by the whole episode, said after the case: “There were joists, floor boards and roofing materials and I was going to make garden seats out of them.
“I was re-cycling, which is what the council are spending thousands of pounds on by buying wheelie bins.
“They crushed the materials and sent the remains to a tip.
“But the judge struck it off his list because I had gone about it the wrong way.
“The materials were stacked up on pallets and breeze blocks and were not rubbish.”
A council official attending the case on Monday declined to comment after the hearing.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
This week in... 1949Friday, December 9, 1949...
A workman was buried alive while digging a drain in the Prudhoe Urban Council's housing estate at Oaklands.
Workmates rushed to the aid of 50-year-old Richard Barclay, of Stocksfield, when the wall of the trench he was digging collapsed.
They managed to dig his head and shoulders free before finally pulling him from the earth. He was found to be suffering from shock and bruising.