Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 29 May 2015

Ladies beat Jesmond to make cup progress

TYNEDALE Hockey Ladies survived a late fightback from Jesmond Parish Church II to progress in the Shield Cup.

With Tyne leading 2-1, the game grew tense as the game neared its conclusion as JPC were awarded three short corners in quick succession.

Although the final whistle went before the final short corner was taken, the game carried on and, just as the ball was smacked out, an excellent interception from Katy Brown cleared the danger and confirmed Tynedale’s triumph.

The ladies were indebted to the superb goalkeeping of Amy Keirl who more than once proved her worth to keep her side ahead in the second half.

The tie was a close affair throughout with the first few minutes quite congested, both sides struggling to settle into their rhythm.

Tynedale were disrupted by an injury to Brown, going off temporarily for a split lip caused by a lifted ball, but they started to turn on the style on her return.

They took the lead with half time approaching following a move which stemmed from a great save from Keirl.

Some intricate passing from Iona Mills and Sarah Withers saw them rapidly make up ground, splitting the Jesmond defence to allow Tori Rutherford to casually pick up the ball and push past the JPC keeper.

Jesmond roared back but were denied by some excellent defending from Alice Hodgcroft, leading to Tyne increasing their lead moments before the break.

From a short corner, a pass from Gemma Stanhope enabled Carole Weatherley to provide a cracking goal from the top of the D, the ball flying straight past the defence and the goalie.

Jesmond reemerged for the second in fine form and came close to reducing the arrears soon after, only for Keirl to keep her goal intact.

But she was to be eventually beaten, a long corner being fed into the D and a crowded circle where JPC managed to get back in it.

Tynedale responded well and nearly regained the two goal margin, Stanhope and Becca Glaister combing to set up Rutherford whose effort on goal narrowly sailed wide.

The missed chance was nearly punished as Jesmond pushed on, but Tyne dug in deep to hold on and book their place in the next round at Newcastle III tomorrow.