Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Sunday, 24 May 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Magpies see off the Blues in top of the table clash

OVERNIGHT frost caused a number of postponements on Saturday morning but the top of the table Division One clash between Throckley Magpies Inter and Prudhoe YC Blues at Newburn Leisure Centre did survive.

Front-runners Throckley kept their unbeaten record by just shading their hitherto 100 per cent visitors by the odd goal in five after an excellent end to end contest.

Inter opened the scoring in the fifth minute when a well struck cross shot from Robson Plasted found the far corner of the net.

Their success was short lived as Prudhoe hit back to equalise with a similar effort by Connor Gillon and they were unlucky not to add a second, with Ben Ridley firing a shot against the foot of the near post.

The visitors went ahead with Josh Ward driving a low shot just inside the net at the far post.

With Ethan Nisbett and Lewis Tilley prominent, the Magpies continued to strike hard to get back into the game and their efforts were rewarded when a cross shot from Rowntree found the bottom on the net.

At half-time it was all square at 2-2 and everything to play for after the break.

The Throckley side seized the initiative early in the second half, with Whitehead latching on to a mis-hit goal kick to leave the keeper helpless in scoring the all-important third goal.

Both sides continued their efforts to add to the scoreline and are congratulated on their all round team play and ability to move the ball around in fine style.

However, it was a delighted Inter who clinched a slender victory to go four points clear at the top while a crest-fallen Prudhoe will surely bounce back from this reversal in their bid to retain the championship and also enjoy the cushion of a game in hand.

Elsewhere, Wylam Rockets picked up their first points of the campaign at Wark. With their confidence boosted by the narrow defeat away to Hexham last Saturday, they made no mistake this time by celebrating a 4-1 victory over the North Tyne outfit.

Ben Robinson proved the Rockets’ match winner by scoring all four, while at the opposite end Andrew Dalton gave an outstanding display of goal-keeping in the second half of kept the home side at a bay.

Ace striker Dan Turner was the lone marksman for Wark whose star man was midfielder, Oliver Scott.

Stocksfield have had a disappointing run of late, but returned to winning ways with a narrow 2-1 win away to Haydon Bridge.

Top scorer Archie Leonard hit a brace for Stocksfield, with the excellent George Priest netting in reply.

An end to end tussle played in great spirit featured Robbie Harding hitting the bar for the visitors and Priest being denied by the framework at the opposite end.

Corbridge United are currently in joint second spot alongside Prudhoe YC Blues and Stocksfield.

Wark U9s, after losing three of their opening four league games, stretched their winning run to six with the 4-1 defeat of Throckley Magpies AC.

Finlay Witheat is enjoying a fine season and again starred for Corbridge, with their goals coming from Thomas Lock (2), Dan Joyce and James Percival.

Aaron Robinson netted for AC whose man of the match was keeper Oliver Bowey.

Hexham Greens U9s continue to lead the way in the Second Division and proved too powerful for Corbridge United U9s in winning 8-1.

Daniel Simpson notched a hat-trick, with Matthew Kilby and star performer Adam Newton hitting doubles and Josh Heslop also netting.

Corey Dover impressed for Corbridge, whose consolation goal was scored by Finlay Marsden.

Wylam Rockets U9s hit Stocksfield U9s for six with strikes by Daniel Lazenby (2), Ben Haslam, and man of the match Daniel Lavery against a home side best served by Matthew Parkes.