Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Monday, 25 May 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Late goal robs Wylam of cup final ambitions

WYLAM’S hopes of making the final of the Northumberland FA Sunday Minor Cup were dashed in the dying seconds of their semi-final.

Action from Wylam’s semi-final with Cramlington Benedictine on Sunday.

In a closely fought encounter with Cramlington Benedictine, where chances were few and far between, they conceded at the death to be denied a chance to take the tie to extra time.

It was a bitter blow for the Hexham and District Sunday League leaders to take as they had fought hard during the encounter, youngster Harry Mitchell named their man of the match.

Just the one goal was needed closer to home too as Haltwhistle Conservatives made the final of the Tommy Jackson Presidents Cup.

Exacting their revenge on an Allendale team which has beaten them twice in the league this season, Haltwhistle made it third time lucky with Mark Robson popping up with the crucial strike.

With the top two out of league action, third placed Stocksfield took the opportunity to reduce the gap at the top of the table.

But they were pushed all the way by The Falcon Prudhoe who were forced to field 49-year-old Duncan MacKenzie and injured goalkeeper Stephen Matheson outfield.

In the end, goals from Jonny Barrett, Jack Wanless and David Sedgwick saw them edge it 3-2, with goals from David Scott and Nick Cairns in consolation for Prudhoe.

A Ryan Lowes hat-trick saw Ryton and Crawcrook Albion defeat Rose and Crown Bellingham 4-0, Chris Chapman popping up with the other.

Hexham Phoenix defeated Prudhoe Town 3-1 with thanks to goals from Luke Parkinson, Lewis Loughhhead and Kurtis Harvey, with Stew Cowperthwaite replying.

Veteran John Armstrong struck twice and Andy Archer once as Bardon Mill booked their place in the semi-finals of the John Pickworth League Cup.

Being pipped to the Division Two title by opponents Prudhoe Social Club, they exacted their revenge with a 3-1 triumph. Stefan Rainbow was on target for Prudhoe.

Swinburne Arms Stamfordham have had a long wait for their first win of the season but it finally came at the weekend as they made the semi-finals of the Division Two KO Cup.

A 3-1 win over third placed Warden Boatside will see them face Bardon Mill for a shock appearance in the cup final.

In the only game in the Mick Simmons Trophy, Dr Syntax Prudhoe were held to a 2-2 draw with Chopwell Phoenix despite goals from Ben Rutherford and David Moore.