Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 22 May 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Jubilee celebration is marred by injury

HALTWISTLE Jubilee’s victory in their debut outing in the Clayton Charity Cup was overshadowed by an opponent breaking his ankle.

Prudhoe Town’s Andy Sagar went over on his ankle on the pitch at Bardon Mill during the warm-up, seeing new Town manager Mattie Thompson one man less for the encounter.

But the injury did not put Prudhoe off their stride too much, the Wearside League putting up a good fight before going down 3-1 to the Hexham and District Sunday League conquers.

Haltwhistle took a 1-0 lead into the interval when danger man Dan Kirkup was left unmarked to smash the ball home from six yards out.

While Prudhoe dominated possession, it was Halty who enjoyed the better chances until the Citizens of Prudhoe drew level with 20 minutes remaining.

Jubilee keeper John Scarth was caught in two minds to come for a long ball, and Town front man Ste Forster took full advantage to loop a header over him for 1-1.

Yet the lead was back with Haltwhistle five minutes later, Kirkup again proving his prolific streak in front of goal as he rose to head home Jonny Wallace’s long throw into the area.

Prudhoe were caught out again as they poured forward looking for a leveller, Jubilee making sure of their progression with a beautiful move up the right hand side.

Mark Robson broke away and crossed to the far post where teenager Jack Rogan was waiting to guide the ball into the corner to open the two-goal cushion.

Holders Stocksfield took a step closer to retaining their crown as they defeated last season’s losing finalists Ryton and Crawcrook Albion 2-0 courtesy of two pearlers.

Both Derek Waters and Andy Hall, the winner of the man of the match award in the 2013 final, notched goals to treasure to help their sides on their way to glory.

Waters got the ball rolling, showing a clinical side as he rifled the ball home off the underside of the net as the ball arrived to him at the edge of the box.

Hall then continued his rich vein of spectacular goals, running onto the ball and placing it firmly away from the Ryton stopper for 2-0.

Stocksfield looked comfortable and could have easily extended their lead had it not been for a combination of missed chances and some top class saves from the opposing custodian.

The victory did not come without cost, though, as they are looking at being without new signing Jamie Peel for at least four months after he injured his knee in the encounter.

Ponteland United’s new manager Rob Carr got off to a winning start as his side made light work of Hexham in the 4-0 triumph to make it through to the final four.

They were scheduled to play Wallington for a place in the final after the Greens received a walkover when quarter-finals opponents Blackhall Mill and Chopwell Community, of the Consett and District Sunday League, conceded the fixture.