Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Greens on top as they outgun Wark in indoor final

ONCE again the weather caused havoc with the football programme throughout the county but allowed the Tynedale Mini-soccer League Division Two youngsters to conserve their considerable pent-up energies for their annual in-door five-a-side football tournament at Wentworth Leisure Centre, Hexham, on Sunday.

The teams which got through to the final stages of the third five-a-side tournament held at Wentworth at the weekend.

This was the third and final such event of the year and proved another highly successful competition thanks to the help and organisation of Wentworth staff Martyn Barnes and John Fox together with once more the impressive and patient collating of Matthew Watson.

Almost 100 players took part with the early stages being played in the usual two groups of six teams.

Corbridge United, Hexham Whites, Prudhoe YC, Stocksfield, Throckley Magpies AC and Wark competed in a hotly contested Division A with only three points separating the top three with AC just losing out to Wark and Hexham Whites for a place in the semi-finals of the main competition.

Hexham Greens won B Division by four points from runners-up Wylam Rockets with another well fought group involving Allendale, Corbridge Rangers, Haydon Bridge and Throckley Magpies Inter.

Hexham Greens and Wark won a place in the final at the expense of Hexham Whites and Wylam Rockets respectively.

An early Adam Newton penalty gave the Hexham youngsters the initiative with Matthew Kilby quickly adding a second.

Harry Coldwell hit a great goal from long range to put the Greens three up while straight from the re-start Wark were denied consolation goal with Josh Heslop saving well from Kareem Turnbull.

Kilby was thwarted by a good save from the North Tyne boys keeper Thomas Norman but the Hexham number 10 was not to be denied as he rounded off the scoring to give his side a 4-0 victory.

Haydon Bridge and Throckley Magpies AC qualified for the President’s Plate Final with AC strong favourites to win.

Shay Carey had a fine shot turned over by Haydon Bridge custodian James Hare and at the opposite end the Magpies survived a missed penalty as the dark horses strove hard to open the scoring.

Will Thornhill fired home for the winning goal and although the Throckley outfit were close to an equaliser through Callum Close it was the Haydonians who held on to their slender lead to win.

The Sam Oliver Shield winners Hexham Greens were represented by Will Burns, Harry Coldwell, Josh Heslop, Matthew Kilby, Adam Newton, Dan Simpson and sponsor’s son Alex Waters junior, and under team manager Joe Speed.

Runners-up and holders Wark were jointly managed by Ryan Potts and Greg McConnell and included Brandon Bland, Callum Coulson, Harry Gardner, Jack MacNeil, Thomas Norman, Alex Southall, Jake and Kareem Turnbull in their team.

President’s Plate winners Haydon Bridge were led by Joe Thornhill with a squad of Sam Bell, Hamish Carney, Jamie Connor, Shay Dickinson, James Hare, Kian McKinnel and Will Thornhill.

Second places Throckley Magpies AC were under the charge of Carol Close with team members Shay Carey, Regan Todd-Carver, Callum and Nathan Close, Joe Cooperthwaite, Reece Oliver, Owen Tulip, Mark Wilkes and Michael Wintersgill.

Generous league sponsor Alex Waters was again on hand to present trophies all round after congratulating everyone on their tremendous enthusiasm and efforts over a fast and furious programme of almost five hours.

Young referees Kevin Mooney, Alex and Dimitri Psarianos were also warmly thanked and also received well deserved mementoes of the occasion.