Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 23 May 2015

Humshaugh cruise to win over Prudhoe

HUMSHAUGH pulled no punches as they ripped through Prudhoe’s attack to remove them for just 23.

Putting the pressure on from the start, they refused to give anything away as their struggling hosts slumped to a demoralising nine wicket defeat.

Matt Williamson ended with four wickets, Andy Crawford three, brother Ed two and Dickie Purvis the other as they ensured Prudhoe did not make 20 overs.

Prudhoe openers Jak Alnwick and Gavin Howdon made the most impact but neither made double figures as the away side ended with a whimper.

With the loss of just Patrick McAlindon, Humshaugh breezed to victory as they passed the total in just the eighth over.

Bottom club Stamfordham are struggling too and they could post just 31 in reply to Allendale’s whopping 261.

In a game sponsored by The Golden Lion Hotel, the hosts, who made only 13 runs the last time the teams met, went hell for leather as Kendall Nolan, Hugo Bothma and Christopher Rutherford all scored half centuries.

A late flurry of runs from a typically aggressive Amit Sunda and a swashbuckling John Raglan pushed the score over 250.

On a difficult day for a weakened Stamfordham team, Soheil Siddique bowled an impressive spell taking five wickets for 58 runs from his 11 overs.

The Stamfordam batsmen found the pace of Sunda difficult to deal with while Dave Swan took two cheap wickets as Stamfordham where dismissed 230 runs short.

There was double delight for Wylam as they picked up two comfortable victories in their double header with Haltwhistle and Matfen Hall.

With 62 runs to his name, ably assisted by an unbeaten 40 from opener Mark Wilson, James Teasdale spearheaded the charge in the eight wicket success over Halty.

While Mark Rowell took three wickets for Wylam, they were unable to pick up maximum points as Haltwhistle, guided by top scorer Michael Parker, dug in.

But Wylam’s batsmen were in top form and they saw the game out with eight wickets intact.

They managed to pick up just 10 points the following day too as Matfen were similarly stubborn at the crease.

Batting first, they made steady progress until Kiwis Charlie Robson and Mitch Ross were reunited and they started to up the run rate significantly.

Both made it past 50, but were dismissed at important times, Ross fell to an excellent catch at the second attempt from Chris Japes and Robson trapped lbw by stand-in captain Ben Duncan.

Eddie Scott pushed things along but some excellent fielding, none more so than from Matthew Lamb who nearly decapitated himself on the sightscreen to stop a boundary, restricted Matfen to 180-7.

James Teasdale couldn’t replicate his match winnings innings, but Andy Paton and Wilson kept Wylam well ahead of the rate with numerous boundaries.

Matfen managed to put the brakes on the scoring and the game was in the balance when Withycombe took two wickets in quick succession to leave Wylam 119-4.

But Duncan put on a good stand with Wilson to see Wylam over the line, finishing the game with a couple of boundaries.

Matfen went into the fixture on the back of a defeat to leaders Haydon Bridge despite posting a competitive score of 202.

In their best team batting performance of the season, against one of the most formidable bowling attacks in the league, they all made their mark particularly Aaron Tiffin who silenced his numerous batting critics with a stylish and hard hitting 22.

However, the Bridge had stylish opener Joe Barber to thank for chasing the score down, although the frontrunners were thankful for dropped catches along the way.

The league is threatening to become a two horse race after Hexham Leazes defeated third placed Stocksfield II with thanks to a classy unbeaten knock of 82 from Ben Griffiths.

Leazes were chasing down 158 with youngster Sam Beedle again knocking on the door of the first team with a fantastic performance which saw him bowled just two short of his half ton.

But Stocksfield batted through well and kept one wicket intact to limit their rivals to 10 points, despite Griffiths and Paul Newton, with an unbeaten 50 of his own, guiding them to an easy victory.

Benwell Hill III defeated Mitford by seven wickets at Stamfordham, the visitors restricted to 150 as David Archbold claimed four wickets off his 12 overs.

Despite the early loss of Ben Hynes and skipper David Ladd, the Hill eased home with 12 overs to spare as Vikram Narula, Dan Hunter and Mark Wright made sure there was to be no batting collapse.