Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Monday, 25 May 2015


Brutal: Killer Adrian Hull, left, and his victim Nicky Morrison who was kicked to death

By Staff Reporter

A killer who kicked his former babysitter to death in a Carlisle park has lost his appeal to have his 15-year jail sentence cut.

Adrian Hull was just 18 when he was found guilty of the brutal murder of 29-year-old Nicky Morrison in Raffles.

The trial at Carlisle Crown Court heard that Hull beat Mr Morrison up in the estate’s Heysham Park and then went back for more, taking a girl with him to watch him kill. He kicked the man who used to babysit him so hard that his head bounced off the path.

Witness Donna Jackson told the jury she saw Mr Morrison, a heroin addict, lying on the ground coughing up blood. Hull told her to act as a lookout while he repeatedly kicked him in the head and then stamped on his face.

Helped by others, Hull, who lived in Brookside, dropped Mr Morrison’s body off a bridge into a stream, where it was found by workmen.

Mr Morrison’s mother Joan still lives in Orton Road, a few hundred yards from the murder scene. She wears a pendant bearing two photos of Nicky, her only son.

The shock of the horrific killing has caused her to suffer two heart attacks.

Hull, was ordered to be detained at Her Majesty’s Pleasure, serving a minimum of 15 years behind bars before being eligible for parole.

Mrs Morrison said then she wanted to see him serve “every single day” of the sentence.

Yesterday, seven years after the murder, England and Wales’ most senior judge refused to cut Hull’s jail term, despite hearing that he is now sorry for what he has done and has a good prison record.

Sitting at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, Lord Woolf said that the shock of the killing had led to 65-year-old Mrs Morrison suffering the heart attacks. And he said that both the pensioner and her daughter Louise had suffered abuse from Hull’s supporters.

He said: “The improvements noticed recently in Hull’s attitude are encouraging.

“However, he was about 18 at the time of the offence and nothing in the case would justify interfering with the present tariff of 15 years.”

Lord Woolf told the court that Mr Morrison was murdered on November 29, 1996, in the early morning.

“At some time before 12.30am, Hull attacked Mr Morrison in Raffles,” said the judge.

“He told a witness he had kicked Mr Morrison’s head in because he was a heroin user who had grassed on a member of the Hull family for drug dealing.”

Hull, who has stayed in touch with his girlfriend and young daughter, then went back to the park accompanied by Donna Jackson. Mr Morrison was lying on a path covered in blood and making gurgling noises.

“He kicked the deceased’s head many times, with enough force to make his head bounce on the path,” said Lord Woolf. “He continued and eventually stamped on the deceased’s head.”

Forensic evidence showed Mr Morrison had sustained at least 17 blows to the head and neck, of which 14 were due to kicking. His family have since denied that he was a police informer.

Speaking after the 1997 trial, one of the officers in charge of the murder inquiry, DCI Peter Kirkbride, said the police had never really discovered the real motive for the horrific killing.

He added: “He wanted to be a bit of a focal point for attention The first thing he did after he attacked Nicky Morrison was to go and tell a girl and then he attacked him in front of her and that was his downfall.

“I think he was trying to create some sort of status for himself.”