Woman dies after house fire
Last updated at 09:54, Tuesday, 29 January 2013
A 93-YEAR-OLD woman from Hexham, who was rescued from a fire at her home, has died in hospital.
Hilda Webb died on Thursday in Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary after firefighters pulled her from the blaze which broke out in her bungalow at Garth Cottages at 8.45pm on Wednesday.
She was found unconscious in her living room, where the fire is thought to have started, before smoke spread through the rest of the property.
Investigators began working at the bungalow on Thursday morning to establish the cause of the fire, but there are thought to be no suspicious circumstances.
First published at 16:05, Thursday, 24 January 2013
Published by http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk
This week in... 1949Friday, December 9, 1949...
A workman was buried alive while digging a drain in the Prudhoe Urban Council's housing estate at Oaklands.
Workmates rushed to the aid of 50-year-old Richard Barclay, of Stocksfield, when the wall of the trench he was digging collapsed.
They managed to dig his head and shoulders free before finally pulling him from the earth. He was found to be suffering from shock and bruising.