Ponteland: New home approved at notorious eyesore
Published at 07:35, Wednesday, 04 June 2014
ONE of Ponteland’s most notorious eyesores is to be replaced by a modern house.
At the second time of asking, John and Catherine Robson have been granted permission to build their house on the derelict Old Plant Yard at Prestwick Village.
Although planning officers advised councillors to turn down the application, Northumberland County Council’s west area planning committee gave it the green light without demur.
The committee was reminded that an application for a house on the same site last year had been refused consent as it was considered inappropriate development in the Green Belt.
It was also decided the site was unsustainable and the proposed house would have had an adverse impact upon the visual amenity of the surrounding area.
This new application was for an only slightly smaller house in the same location, so planning officer Joanne Wood recommended refusal for the same reasons.
However, committee members heard there were no objections to the proposal – but there were 10 letters of support.
One supporter said: “ I, like many others, support this application for a family home, which would replace an unsightly, dilapidated, industrial blot on our beautiful landscape
“Prestwick is full of family homes which have their beautiful vistas spoiled by this eyesore.
“A new house would be a welcome addition, and dramatically improve the view.”
Despite the recommendation from officers, Coun. Ian Hutchinson, of Haltwhistle, said: “I cannot see any reason why this should not be approved.”
Corbridge’s Coun. Mrs Jean Fearon added: “Seeing what is there now and the lie of the land, this can only be an improvement.”
Published by http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk