Karate teacher jailed for child sex offences
Last updated at 17:04, Friday, 29 June 2012
KARATE instructor Harry Cook was jailed for 10 years on Friday after admitting a string of sex offences against children dating as far back as the 1980s.
Cook (62), formerly of Castle Hill Terrace, Haltwhistle, was a world renowned expert in martial arts.
He pleaded guilty to a total 49 charges, spanning four decades and involving five victims.
He was also found in possession of over 55,000 images of children and over 600 films.
At Newcastle Court, Judge Roger Thorn sentenced Cook to 10 years in prison. He will be on the sex offenders’ register and be barred from teaching children for life.
One of Cook’s victims described him as "the lowest form of predator" who abused his position of trust.
In a statement after the court hearing, the victim said: "After living with the immense horror for over 20 years, I feel some justification and I'm relieved that people can now see him for what he truly is.
"I feel total disgust and loathing towards him for all he has done, and he is now where he belongs."
First published at 17:01, Friday, 29 June 2012
Published by http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (33 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (19 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (25 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)