Children offered places at doomed school
Last updated at 07:59, Wednesday, 13 March 2013
PARENTS have been left confused and angry after being told their children have been accepted into a school which is to close this summer.
Letters to confirm places are available at Allendale Middle School were received by parents on Friday.
Parents accused Northumberland County Council of yet more incompetence over handling the crisis at the school where closure will be ratified on April 16.
County council officers have previously come under fire for their handling of the closure which is due to be formally ratified on April 16.
Parent Jon Keyte said: “I couldn’t believe how incompetent they are being.
“They have handled it unbelievably badly since September and this just rubs our noses in it.
“Why didn’t someone think to hold off the letter when the closure is such a sensitive issue? If anything needs closing it’s their department.
“We don’t dare show the letter to our son because we don’t want to get his hopes up. He would be devastated.”
Other parents have also expressed their shock on receiving the confirmation of a place.
They are also angry at the unnecessary expense of sending out letters.
Campaigner Marc Hydleman said the correspondence damaged trust in the local authority.
The council's head of early years and schools, Tony Mays, apologised for any confusion, but said while a final decision had still to be taken on the school the normal admissions process had to be followed.
He said parents would soon receive a further letter explaining the previous offer would be withdrawn and a place would be offered in the new primary structure created in the wake of the middle school’s closure.
First published at 07:39, Wednesday, 13 March 2013
Published by http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk