Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 02 June 2015

Kells have too much firepower for Distington

SEATON will meet Kells in this year’s Iggesund Cumbria Cup final after they saw off a determined Broughton Red Rose side in Saturday’s semi.

This was a real arm wrestle of a game for 60 minutes with Seaton holding a slender 10-6 lead at the break.

But when Seaton hooker Nathan Kirkbride picked up a cheeky try from dummy half to extend his side’s lead, it opened the floodgates.

Seaton went on to rack up a 34-12 victory, despite Broughton having the final say on their home turf with a converted try.

On a gluepot of a pitch, both sides battled it out from the first minute. Seaton drew first blood with a try from winger Tom Curwen but the touchline conversion was missed.

Broughton then took the lead with four minutes to go to the break when second rower Stuart Moore crossed the whitewash and Mark Walker converted.

But then play flew to the other end of the pitch and Seaton took the advantage into the break following a try from former Workington Town centre Mark Routledge, which was converted by Brett Phillips for 10-6.

It was deadlocked after half time, with neither side able to break down the other’s defence.

But then along came Kirkbride and his try on 57 minutes, converted by Duncan Moyle, was the start of a purple patch for Seaton.

They ran in another two tries in a devastating eight minute spell which killed the game off.

First centre Ryan Blair touched down and then Routledge picked up his second of the afternoon, both converted by Moyle to bag a 28-6 lead.

With three minutes remaining, prop Andy McGlasson sealed the deal for Seaton with their final try, again converted by Moyle.

But credit to Red Rose, they never gave up trying and got a consolation in the final minute when centre Richard Campbell crossed the try line, with Mark Walker converting.

Kells, who will face Seaton in the final, moved on in another competition on Saturday, when they defeated Distington in the opening round of the E Lamb & Son Amateur Cup.

Kells had rattled up a 38-0 lead before Distington got onto the scoreboard but they made the latter stages of the game tough for the Whitehaven side.

But in the end Kells had too much firepower and racked up a 48-16 win.

The first try came after 18 minutes when Daniel Joyce touched down for Kells, with Ashley McDonald, Ross Gainford and Kevin Agnew all following him over the whitewash before the break.

Tony Burns was on target with three conversions and the home side were 22-0 ahead.

They set off in the same fashion after the break, with Jordan Boyd collecting a try on 42 minutes.

Gainford then picked up his second before Paul Cullnean got in on the act, with Burns tagging on two conversions for 38-0.

Then Distington hit back with a two tries in three minutes courtesy of Aiden Worthington and Gavin Martin, with Jamie Friel converting the first.

Jordan Boyd then replied with his second for Kells, converted by Burns but Distington came back again with a try for Sean Adams, converted by Martin for 44-16.

However, the last word went to Kells with McDonald collecting his second of the day and Kells’ eighth for 48-16.

Cockermouth were due to host Hensingham in the second round of the same competition but it was called off due to Cockermouth’s posts being blown down and snapped.

The sticks were also the problem at Glasson where they had to postpone their Cumberland League division one tie with Lowca.

Maryport bagged a victory in the top flight of the league, seeing off town rivals Ellenborough at Solway Park.

There were tries across the park for Maryport, courtesy of Kevin McCrickerd, Dean Scholey, Scott Akehurst, Jon Dawes, Daniel Rooney and Ian Ivison.

Craig Foster added four goals and Steven Scholey one to wrap up the scoring.

In division two, Seaton A’s match with Frizington was called off due to an unfit pitch but the remaining four games all went ahead.

A brace of tries from Lee Rutherford put Kells A on the right track at Maryport A, where they went on to win 22-0.

Dean McGarry and Gary Fox also touched down for the visitors, with Lewis Smith adding three goals.

Michael Hill was the star for Great Clifton with a personal tally of 24 points from a hat-trick of tries and six goals against Salterbeck A.

Clifton sealed the win on 44-12 away from home, with Nick Burgess, David Liddington, Danny Jones, Martin Wilson and Chris Ritson also touching down.

Salterbeck’s points came through tries for Jason Payne and Simon Lancaster, plus two Matthew Gorley goals.

Egremont were victorious over Hensingham A by 26 points to eight. Matthew Bewsher, Adam Roberts, Keiron Glenn and Mark Beckwith all bagged tries for Egremont, with Warren Stainton converting all four and adding a penalty.

Hensingham A crossed the whitewash twice in reply, with Martin Wilson and Gareth Gates both getting on the scoreboard.

Salterbeck’s first team fared better than their seconds, when they wrapped up a 38-16 victory at Flimby.

Dan Riddick ran in a brace of tries for the Storm, with further touchdowns from Ryan Stoddart, Ross Thompson, Terry McDowell, Barry Devlin and Steven Humphries. Liam Wilson was on target with five goals.

Flimby replied with two tries from Carl Grima and one apiece for Grant Underwood and Tom Ross.

Fixtures for Saturday, December 5

Division One

Hensingham v Ellenborough

Broughton RR v Wath Brow

Division Two

Egremont v Kells A

Seaton A v Hensingham A

Maryport A v Salterbeck A

Gt Clifton v Cockermouth

E Lamb & Son Amateur Cup round one

Frizington v Seaton

Round two

Kells v Maryport

BARLA National Cup preliminary round

Waterhead v Egremont

Salterbeck Storm v East Leeds

Lowca v Distington