X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.
 

Saturday, 20 December 2014

Cumbrian man jailed for eight years for raping woman

A Maryport man has been jailed for eight years after raping a young woman in her own home.

Paul James Richardson photo
Paul James Richardson, of Maryport: Found guilty of raping woman in her home

Related: 'Creepy' man found guilty of raping Cumbrian woman in her home

Paul James Richardson’s victim told Carlisle Crown Court yesterday that her life had been “ruined” by the actions of the 49-year-old – who had been invited into her Brigham home on business.

Richardson, of Park Terrace, was found guilty of rape following a trial last month.

And the court heard yesterday that the father-of-two had shown no remorse for his actions, continuing to protest his innocence despite the verdict.

During his trial the jury were told that Richardson had cornered the woman in her dining room and put his hands down her jeans, before taking her upstairs and raping her on the landing.

In a victim impact statement read to the court yesterday, Richardson’s victim said: “I feel my life has been ruined – how can I trust any man?

“I’m not the person I was before anymore. It’s the shame of it all I struggle with.”

Judge Paul Batty QC said Richardson had behaved like a “sexual predator”, preying on the woman when she was alone in the house.
He said: “It was a disgraceful thing to do. You’ve absolutely no remorse for what you did.

“You believe that you were wrongly convicted and you don’t accept the verdict of the jury, which in my judgement was delivered on plain and compelling evidence.”

He added that a “significant” aggravating feature of the case was that Richardson had breached the woman’s trust by committing the crime in her own home.

Judge Batty jailed Richardson for eight years, and also ordered that he remain on the sex offenders’ register for the next 15 years.

Speaking after the verdict, Detective Inspector Adrian Johnson, who led the investigation for Workington CID, said: “I am pleased we have been able to ensure a dangerous man has been taken off our streets and put behind bars.

“The victim of this attack will continue to feel the devastating affects of Richardson's crime long after this case has finished but I hope that the result at court today can help her to begin to rebuild her life.

“Our specially trained officers have worked closely with her throughout the investigation and the subsequent court case, the whole team has nothing but admiration for the courage she has displayed in coming forward.

“We are committed to supporting all victims and helping them ensure offenders are brought to justice. I would urge victims who are thinking of coming forward to get in touch with us by calling 0845 33 00 247.. You will be believed. We take every report seriously and will fully investigate the offence, prosecute offenders and do all we can to support you.

“The conviction of Richardson sends a clear message out to those who would commit such crimes that, if you do - you will be caught and you will be prosecuted.

  •  William Riddick, 44, of McCarron Close, Maryport, who worked for Richardson, was found not guilty of aiding and abetting him.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Google+