Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 23 May 2015

Comeback Kings Tynedale leave it late

Bayed on by another ecstatic crowd, Tynedale turned a 25-7 deficit after less than 20 minutes into a memorable win against third placed Coventry.


And once again it was try scoring sensation Ben Frankland who led the way with two more tries to add to his impressive tally this season.

The winning try was a majestic affair, with the forwards overcoming a much bigger pack to inch towards the line, before all but two of the rest of the team joined in to force them over the line.for Frankland to apply the finishing touch, as he has done so often this season.

Star studded Coventry, with three South Africans and three Welsh internationals in their line up, were left stunned as a game they seemed to have in the bag was wrenched from their grasp.

In a hectic opening spell, Coventry took the lead through a try by hooker Chris Locke on four minutes , and although full back Cliffie Hodgson missed the conversion he was on target with a penalty on seven minutes for an 8-0 lead.

Tynedale had hardly touched the ball, but when they finally got it, they made good use of it, with a thrilling charge by flanker Dan Temm leading to a try for hooker David Nelson, Gavin Beasley converted to make it 8-7.

Hodgson added a penalty, before Tynedale paid the price for some poor tackling, winger Will Hurrell stepping through several tackles before sending in number eight Jacques la Roux for a try which Hodgdon converted.

Tynedale tried to come back, but a hopeful long pass was plucked out of the air on the edge of the 22 by Hurrell, who ran the length of the field to score under the posts for Hodgson to convert to make it 25-7 with just 17 minutes gone.

A Beasley penalty on 29 minutes settled Tynedale;s nerves, before scrum half Greg Illingworth gained possession on the edge of his own 22, and weaved through half the Coventry side to score a breathtaking try.

Beasley's conversion attempt skipped over off the top of the crossbar for 25-17, but the half ended with Hodgson landing a penalty from inside his own half to make it 28-17 at the break.

After a scrappy opening 15 minutes the second half exploded into action when Temm was sin-binned for misbehaviour in a maul . Coventry chose to take a penalty scrum,. from which La Roux went in for his second try which Hodgson improved for looked a decisive 35-17 lead.

However, 14-man Tynedale upped their game and after pounding at the line for some time, Hamish Smales wormed his over from close range, and Beasley converted. Coventry were over the line soon after but could not ground the ball due to sterling Tynedale defence.

Play was soon at the other end, where the hours spend on the training ground proved off with Franky's Final Touch to a lengthy forward drive from a line out. Beasley landed the difficult conversion and Tynedale were in with a shout at 35-31.

With the four try bonus point already in the bag. And with two minutes left, the dose was repeated to score one of the wins of the season . With relegation rivals Hull Ionians, Henley, Cinderford and Worthing all losing, Tynedale did themselves a huge favour with this victory